Two spectacular days of local love for the White Salmon River. Local residents especially welcome!
Tuesday June 27th
9:00 AM – 4:00 PM: Film Clinic & Context at the Husum Fire Station
Hosted and facilitated by local kayaker and cinematographer Brendan Wells.
Learn to create a story line, get the technical nitty gritty from your gear to editing, shoot the events, and help create a film.
Registration is $30 at http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2982670
9:00 AM – 5:00 PM: Zoller Trash Bash River Clean-up
Hosted and facilitated by Zach Zoller.
Help keep the White Salmon River clean, and win prizes while you’re at it! Bags and tarps will be available at the Husum Fire Hall to take boating or hiking throughout the day. Please be conscientious of private property, and know your abilities and surroundings. Collected trash should be brought to the Husum Fire Hall by 5 PM. Prizes will be awarded for “Most Trash” and “Most Interesting Item”. Crews from both Zoller’s, All Adventures and Wet Planet will be participating;
6:00 PM: Symposium at the Husum Fire House – The White Salmon River: A River of Change
Hosted and facilitated by Jeanette Burkhardt from Yakama Nation Fisheries / SHARE the White Salmon River.
The perfect opportunity to ask questions, interact, and visit informational tables representing local organizations. The very informative topics and impressive speaker line-up include:
Welcome and Intro, by SHARE the White Salmon River
Why Streams Meander and Other Mysteries of Nature, by Janine Castro, USFWS geomorphologist
That is How Coyote Named it – Namnit and the People of the White Salmon River, by Cheryl Mack, retired USFS archaeologist
White Salmon River Fish Recolonization Update, by Ian Jezorek, USGS fish biologist
Aquatic Invaders and How to Prevent Them, by Jon Erickson, Wilderness and Wild and Scenic River Specialist for the CRGNSA
Updates: Condit Dam Decommissioning and Restoration near Northwestern Park & Underwood In-lieu Site Restoration Project, by Jeanette Burkhardt, Yakama Nation Fisheries
Updates on the Klickitat County Shoreline Master Program Process, by Pat Arnold, Friends of the White Salmon River
Wednesday June 28th
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM Kayak Race on the Truss
Hosted and facilitated by Brendan Wells
Registration will take place at the event check in. More information available at the event’s Facebook page.
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Community Service Project at Northwest Park
Hosted and facilitated by Jeanette Burkhardt, Yakama Nation Fisheries with help from Skamania County Weed Program
Learn about native plant restoration and how invasive plants threaten our habitats. Help remove invasive plants from the restoration site next to Northwestern Park.
10:00 AM – 1:00 PM: Kids River Art Project at Northwestern Park
Hosted and facilitated by Dawn and Josie Passant / Wet Planet
Families join in – come create your own Salmon celebration banner!
12:30 PM – Start Community Rafting Trip White Salmon River at Wet Planet Whitewater
For our much appreciated community and local residents! $30 per person. Reservations required.
4:00 PM – 6:30 PM: Kayak and SUP events in Husum
• Boater Cross between Husum Falls & Rattlesnake
• SUP Cross Race between Husum Falls & Rattlesnake
• Registration will take place at the event check in. More information available at the event’s Facebook page.
7:30 PM – 10:00 PM White Salmon Fest at our private venue in Trout Lake
Buy your tickets online before June 25th for $15. Proceeds will benefit Friends of the White Salmon River.
• Live music by Tony Smiley and The Naughty Sweethearts
• Food provided by Big Man’s Rotisserie
• Camping in a beautiful meadow, included with your ticket
• Raffles with great prizes, donated by NRS, Immersion Research, Adventure Technology Paddles, O.S. Systems, Outdoor Play, Danner Boots, Dakine, Mt. Hood Meadows, Good Medicine Tea, and more! Raffle tickets available for purchase separately
• Beer generously provided by Ninkasi Brewing
• Booths to learn more about your favorite local companies, groups and organizations
• Show your support for keeping our rivers clear of invasive species – bring a receipt from washing your whitewater boat at an appropriate location (such as a carwash) for a special prize
Donations are appreciated for individual events. Proceeds will go to SHARE White Salmon River Organization and Friends of the White Salmon River.
See you all there!